Demi Lovato Talks About New Music, Celebrating the Holidays, and Pronouns

May 2024 · 3 minute read

Demetria Devonne “Demi” Lovato was raised in Dallas, Texas, after being born in Albuquerque, New Mexico, on August 20, 1992.

Her parents are Patrick Martin Lovato, an engineer and musician, and Dianna De La Garza, a former cheerleader for the Dallas Cowboys. As a young performer, Demi debuted on “Barney & Friends.”

Lovato is an American actress, singer, and songwriter. After signing with Hollywood Records, Lovato’s pop-rock debut album, Do Not Forget (2008), debuted at number two on the US Billboard 200.

The title track of its 2009 follow-up, Here We Go Again, peaked at number 15 on the Hot 100, while the album itself debuted at number one in the United States.

Her 2011 third studio album, Unbroken, explored pop and R&B, producing the platinum-certified single “Skyscraper” in the United States.

Her fourth album, of the same name, was released in 2013. It featured the top ten global hit “Heart Attack” and peaked at number three on the Billboard 200.

Tell Me You Love Me (2017) and Confident (2015), Lovato’s fifth and sixth albums, respectively, were imbued with soul and mature themes. Tell Me You Love Me’s lead single, “Sorry Not Sorry,” became her highest-charting single in the US, peaking at number six. 

In addition, she received a Grammy Award nomination for Confident. Dancing with the Devil and Holy Fvck (2022), her seventh and eighth albums, respectively, peaked at number two and number seven in the US after a break.

Demi is currently in a romantic relationship. The musician and singer have been dating Jutes since August 2022.

Why did Lovato change the way she sang?

At her core, Demi Lovato has always been an emo child. Her desire to alter her sound stemmed from her passion for the genre. “I wanted to return to my roots because I grew up listening to this music,” Lovato remarked.

“I will be formally switching my pronouns to they/them,” Lovato said. I feel that this best represents the fluidity I feel in my gender expression and allows me to feel most authentic to the person I know and am still discovering.”

Demi hints at new music for 2024

A Very Demi Holiday Special, Demi Lovato’s Roku Channel Christmas Special, went live on Friday, December 8.

In addition to a ton of Christmas music performances, the show includes fan interactions, such as media personality Paris Hilton baking meat cakes for her and Lovato’s dogs, drag queen Trixie Mattel teaching her the Nutcracker ballet, and comedian and actress Tiffany Haddish teaching her how to make ugly Christmas sweaters.

In response, Lovato said, “Hopefully, I will have an album by then.” when asked about her plans for 2024.

It would be my dream to release new music. I feel like I am constantly putting out new music because I am always trying to improve or find something that brings me joy at the time. I therefore hope to release new music in the upcoming year. However, I am not placing any pressure on it either.”

Lovato released a few singles this year, including the original song “Still Alive” for the movie Scream IV and a cover of “Let Me Down Easy” from the miniseries Daisy Jones & the Six. 

Probably Lovato’s most ambitious project of the year was the album Revamped, which was a re-recording of her greatest hits in their current, more rock-infused style. To better fit their current genre, they turned songs like “Sorry Not Sorry,” “Cool for the Summer,” and “Heart Attack” into rock anthems.

Could Lovato release a Christmas album in the future, though, given the release of this new holiday special? “That is not what I intend to do, but I might release a Christmas album.”

Lovato reacted excitedly when it was mentioned that there might be some rock-inspired Christmas songs, saying, “That would be cool!”

ncG1vNJzZmiolZq9tMPIs2Wcp51ktbC4y7KuqKeUZLGmuchmo6iukam8bsDApaKsZZGXvLbAjKecsGWdqsCqr4ycnKWdkqeutbXNoGStoJVitbC4yJ2Ysqtdlrulec%2BrpqenpaPAcA%3D%3D