Who is Alicia Danielle Lofton? Husband Marcus Lofton Confesses to Killing Wife Over Divorce

May 2024 · 4 minute read

Alicia Danielle Lofton, a 37-year-old mother of three, was shot and killed by her husband, Marcus Durayalle Lofton, on August 17, 2023, in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The tragic incident occurred a day after Alicia served Marcus with divorce papers, six months after their wedding. Marcus, a 42-year-old former Marine, has been charged with first-degree murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony. He is being held without bail at the Kent County Jail.

A brief timeline of the events

According to court documents and news reports, this is how the events unfolded:

Who was Alicia Danielle Lofton?

Alicia Danielle Lofton was born on June 6, 1986, in Grand Rapids, Michigan. She graduated from Ottawa Hills High School in 2004 and attended Grand Rapids Community College. She worked as a medical assistant at Spectrum Health for over 10 years. She was also a licensed cosmetologist and had a passion for hair and makeup.

Alicia was described by her family and friends as a loving, caring, and outgoing person who always had a smile on her face. She enjoyed spending time with her children, who were aged 18, 15, and 11. She also loved traveling, shopping, and dancing.

Alicia’s sister, Kassie White, said that Alicia was her best friend and confidant. She said that Alicia had dreams of opening her own salon someday and helping other women feel beautiful. She also said that Alicia was a strong woman who endured a lot of pain in her life.

“She was always there for me no matter what,” White said. “She was my rock. She was my everything.”

Who is Marcus Durayalle Lofton?

Marcus Durayalle Lofton was born on April 4, 1981, in Grand Rapids, Michigan. He graduated from Creston High School in 1999 and joined the U.S. Marine Corps shortly after. He served for four years and was honorably discharged in 2003.

Marcus worked as a security guard at various locations in Grand Rapids. He also had a side business of selling custom-made T-shirts and hats online.

Marcus was married twice before he met Alicia. He had two children from his first marriage and one child from his second marriage. He also had two stepchildren from his relationship with Alicia.

Marcus’s cousin, Krista Smith, said that Marcus was a good person who had a great sense of humor and an amazing smile. She said that he loved his family and his children dearly. She also said that he suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) after his military service and struggled with mental health issues.

“I don’t know what mentally happened to break my cousin to do this because he was a strong person with an amazing smile,” Smith said. “I hurt because living with this has to break him even more.”

What are the reactions to the case?

The case has sparked outrage and sadness among the community members who knew Alicia and Marcus. Many people have expressed their condolences to Alicia’s family and friends on social media platforms such as Facebook and Instagram.

Some people have also raised questions about the role of domestic violence in the case and the need for more awareness and prevention efforts.

The Grand Rapids Police Department has urged anyone who is experiencing domestic violence or knows someone who is to seek help and report it. They have provided the following resources for victims and survivors:

ncG1vNJzZmivp6x7r7HWrKynspmle6S7zGisrJlfrLWwecisZJqkmZi2onnDmqWinZyhsm64zp%2BrqKZdncK0rsCnm2alkaewtr%2BMpaafrJ%2BjeqS7zZ%2BcrKuVqHq1u4ykoKWkmaO0bsPIn5xmp6aav26wyK%2Bmq5uVZA%3D%3D