Lily Afshar Classical Guitarist died at 63 : How did She die?

May 2024 · 5 minute read

The world of music has lost a shining star with the passing of Professor Lily Afshar, a trailblazing Iranian guitarist and the first woman to earn a Doctoral Degree in Classical Guitar. At 63 years old, this world-class musician’s life was cut short, leaving a void in the global music community.

Who was Lily Afshar?

Lily Afshar was more than just a musician; she was a pioneer. Born in Iran, she rose to prominence as a talented classical guitarist. Afshar was the first woman in the world to receive a PhD in guitar, breaking barriers and inspiring countless others in her wake. Her passion for music was evident in her performances, which resonated deeply with audiences worldwide.

Lily Afshar Career

Afshar’s career was marked by groundbreaking achievements. As an accomplished guitarist, she was well-respected in the music industry for her unique style and technical prowess. She was a trailblazer, becoming the first female recipient of a PhD in guitar history. This achievement, along with her remarkable talent, cemented her place as one of the leading figures in classical guitar.

How did Lily Afshar Die?

Afshar passed away after a prolonged battle with illness. The news of her death was shared by friends and relatives on social media, sending shockwaves through the music community. Despite her health challenges, Afshar remained dedicated to her art until the end, with one of her most recent pieces being released in Iran just prior to her passing.

Tirgan

With heavy hearts, we announce the passing of the remarkable Iranian artist, Lily Afshar, who graced the Tirgan Festival 2017 with her exceptional talent and artistic brilliance.She was a true virtuoso who transformed music into a visual masterpiece. Her enchanting melodies and captivating performances left an indelible mark on all who were fortunate enough to experience her artistry.The Washington Post has described her onstage performance as “remarkable, impeccable.” She is the only female classical guitarist in the world who blends excellent formal training with the rich cultural heritage of Persia to bring audiences an extraordinary musical experience.Her presence at Tirgan Festival 2017 elevated our cultural celebration to new heights and left an enduring legacy.Our thoughts and condolences go out to Lily Afshar’s family, friends, and fans during this challenging time. May her music continue to inspire and uplift generations to come. #inlovingmemory #tirganfestival #RememberingLilyAfshar

What was the Cause of Lily Afshar Death?

Afshar’s death was the result of a long struggle with illness. While specific details regarding the nature of her illness have not been disclosed, it is clear that her health battle was a significant factor leading to her untimely passing.

Doug Cupples

I received the news tonight that Lily Afshar has passed away at the age of 63. She was the first woman in the world to earn the Doctoral Degree in Classical Guitar. Although I was not a close friend, I was well acquainted with her. She and my daughter Virginia were good friends. Lily was a world-class musician and a guitar virtuoso. She knew she was good, in fact, she was great and traveled in a world occupied by few. She had played for Segovia and he said she had been touched by God. I always enjoyed her concerts; they always soared. Most, however, I remember the small venues where she helped fund-raising efforts for the Memphis Youth Symphony. Lily would donate her talent. When I was on the faculty at the University of Memphis we served on a few doctoral committees. Although these were music/history research projects (not performance) she was always fully engaged. She made the guitar department at the University of Memphis and had just retired after thirty-four years. She was bright, intelligent, talented and made the guitar sing.

Lily Afshar Obituary

We mourn the loss of Professor Lily Afshar, a woman whose influence stretched far beyond her music. She was a trailblazer, a virtuoso, and an inspiration to many. Her death marks a significant loss to the world of classical guitar and music as a whole. As we remember her life and contributions, we extend our deepest sympathies to her friends, family, and all those touched by her music.

Michelle Shrader

Lily Afshar passed. Lily Afshar, the reason I moved to Memphis. The first woman to get a doctorate in classical guitar in the entire world. I moved to Memphis specifically bc when I heard her Hemispheres album, I was absolutely floored. Packed up, dropped out of Southern Louisiana University where I was studying classical guitar and moved to a little studio apartment in midtown Memphis. Way before all the skyscrapers. Way before Overton Square was cool again. When the Bucc was still alive. I’d practice til midnight at school and go to the bucc to relax, listen to others play music. Dave Cousar, Charlie Wood, rock/grunge/whatever. P & H where my Dad and I beat Lily and Marcin Dylla in a game of pool. Someone I spoke to in some shape or form for 6 years while she was my mentor in undergrad. She had lots of bad (terribly complicated) qualities, but like they say, there’s always some good in there too. My heart hurts. She grew and shaped me as a musician. I learned so much from her. I wouldn’t be in Memphis if it wasn’t for Lily. Goodbye, Lily.

Lily Afshar’s passing is a reminder of the profound impact one individual can have on an industry. Her legacy as a barrier-breaking female guitarist will continue to inspire future generations of musicians. As we mourn her loss, we also celebrate her incredible contributions to the world of music.

ncG1vNJzZminqJyusb%2BNqKmgZ5yeubp5wJ%2BqoZmiYrCtrdKsoJyZnGK0trXTmqmiq6Risaqxw2aYrWVmaHw%3D